- You should have lots of interest and expertise as well as ideally some experience producing content in the realms of personal technology and consumer electronics.
- You should enjoy wearing multiple hats, be flexible as roles and duties shift, and thrive on working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You must have a fun, friendly, and positive attitude.
- You must either be in the Los Angeles area or willing to relocate.
We’re a startup based in Santa Monica, CA. We’re building a new online destination in the personal technology space and looking for smart and creative folks to be a part of our editorial team. Our work environment is fun and energetic, and we offer competitive pay with benefits.
Here are the three positions we’re currently hiring:
This role will work closely with our in-house programming staff as well as help oversee a geographically distributed freelance team of writers and content creators. You will be responsible for helping to program major content areas within the site, contracting new writers, ensuring a high level of quality and accuracy in editorial, and using analytical tools to evaluate content performance. We would expect you to bring vision to our editorial direction, be able to iteratively craft original content strategies based on performance, have cogent ideas and methods for building an audience, and be able to execute on them.
The ideal candidate should have managerial experience as well as experience working with virtual teams.
This role will work closely with our in-house programming staff to develop and execute compelling original content as well as assist in the overall programming of major content areas within the site. You will be responsible for helping assign and approve creative content ideas as well as bringing a keen editorial eye to overall quality and voice. You should be extremely detail-oriented yet always be able to keep the big picture goals in mind.
The ideal candidate should have previous experience in an editor-level role as well as a significant background in writing for a web audience. Experience working with virtual teams is a plus.
The ideal candidate will have handled design and/or development duties for one or more high-trafficked new media sites and have experience working with content management tools. Server-side skills aren’t strictly required in this role but if you can bring any, it would be gravy.
How to apply
Send an email to barb AT project-austin DOT com with the following information:
- Your background — let us know what you’ve been working on, what you feel your skills are, what your experience in the realm of personal technology/consumer electronics is, and what interests you about the position you’re applying for.
- Your contact information — full name, email address, phone number, instant messenger handle, where you’re located, and the best methods and times to reach you.
- Bylined writing samples (Producer and Editor positions) or portfolio (Design/Dev position) — preferably linked, or alternatively as an attachment.
- Your resume — linked or attached, as well as your LinkedIn URL if you have one.
Please include the title of the position you’re applying for in the title of your message. If you’re sending us writing samples, portfolio, or any other part of your application as an attachment, please make sure to tell us something about yourself via text in the body of your email. Don’t make us launch Microsoft Word just to get a sense of who you are!