Cult leader playbook:
1. Position himself (and the group — his extension) as the benevolent safe haven to turn to when afraid
2. Isolate the follower from other sources of safe haven
3. Arouse fear in the follower
Qualities of a Cult Leader
- Narcissistic — highly self-absorbed, they demand excessive admiration and slavish devotion to their whims.
- Charismatic — they have a way of grabbing attention, whether positive or negative.
- Unpredictable — erratic behavior keeps enemies on their toes and fans “on edge” with desire to please Dear Leader.
- Insatiable drive — it could be status, money, sex, power, or all of the above, but they feel they deserve it more than anyone else on the planet.
- Lack of conscience — they have no shame and will demand things a decent human being would not.